Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Secret of Kells

I decided to go out on a limb and watch one of Netflix's top 10 picks specialized for me.

 Some of their recommendations are absolutely ridiculous and things I would never watch such as "Strawberry Shortcake". Others seem mildly interesting but "generic" in a sort of way. "You liked a movie about crime, so we are assuming that you like every possible movie about crime".

When I saw "The Secret of Kells" on my "Top 10 Picks" list I was interested, but skeptical. I briefly read the plot summary and decided to watch it. Although, I am not a huge fan of animated films I thought I would give it a try.

This animated film is about a young boy (Brendan)  that lives in a world confined to a monastery. When a monk who is well known for his artistry at creating "Illuminated Manuscripts" seeks refuge in the monastery, Brendan becomes fascinated with his cause. Brendan goes through great lengths and ventures out of his comfort zone in order to protect the unfinished sacred book of Iona (which later becomes the book of Kells). Along the way Brendan meets a new friend and is challenged both physically and emotionally.

The plot of this movie was really simplistic and not very captivating. It was fairly predictable, and there were some elements that were overly strange and irrelevant. The film itself was very artistic and the animations were amazing. I really appreciated how colorful and creatively done this film was.

After watching "The Secret of Kells" I looked up The Book of Kells on Wikepedia and the information provided about the book made me more interested in the movie. Since I never had heard about the mystery of the "Book of Kells" I did not  understand the significance of this story. If you are a history buff, or interested in celtic folklore you will appreciate this movie more than I did.

I really enjoyed the animation and the way the film was done. Although the movie "The Secret of Kells" does not make my top 10, it was worth it to watch.

1 comment:

  1. You've got some pretty good comments and insights on this movie thing! I think you make a great critic! I love the way you write. Even though I many not really have any interest in the movie you are discussing, I still enjoy reading about it!
    Finally got your link on my blog...so I'll be back!!! Alot! :)

    ReplyDelete