Saturday, May 7, 2011

Life's a Circus

When I was young and got into argument with my parents, I often dreamed of running away to join the circus. 

Courtesy of rightsideofthebrain.com
I never actually did because I really hated clowns, but the thought of being a part of such a festive environment was enticing.

 The documentary "Circus" now streaming via Netflix's Instant Play, is a six part series that hi-lights the lives of those performing in the Big Apple Circus. This miniseries shows what circus life really like including the difficulties and demands involved. I learned that amidst the excitement of the circus is a world filled with hard work and uncertainty. 

This miniseries was memorizing and extremely well done. Often when we see performances we do not see excruciating work behind each show. This documentary allows the viewers a sneak peek into the world of circus performers, and tells the story of how each individual involved embraces this eccentric world. 

Even though the circus has been around for hundreds of years, and is a worldwide phenomenon, traveling shows are struggling to stay afloat in this economy. These are tough times, and all of the circus performers understand that their jobs are not secure. Many of the performers have grown up in the "circus community" and would struggle making "ends meet" outside the circus. 

Courtesy of cgnews.com
Surprisingly, one thing that intrigued me about the film was the clowns. I often joked with others that if they fail school they can always go to “clown college”, but clowns have to accomplish difficult tasks while remaining “happy”. The clowns showcased in this film were real people with health problems and mood disorders just like the rest of us. They were not frightening and creepy like I remember them being.

I really enjoyed how artistic this film was, and the soundtrack added an exciting element to this miniseries. Although I am fairly certain a lot of footage was cut, I have gained a greater appreciation of the circus.

That being said, there were parts of this miniseries that were too focused on romantic drama, and "soap opera" like situations. Most of the six hours was entertaining, but some of it was monotonous. There is some strong language, but it wasn't very noticeable. All ages would appreciate this inspiring show, and will feel a little sadness when the circus "leaves town".

After watching this film I took a "What Circus Act Are You" quiz. According to this quiz I should fly on a trapeze (yeah right) I am curious to know what other's got?

Although I am still fascinated with the circus, and only slightly afraid of clowns I know that I will never join the circus, but I may visit the next time it comes to town! 



No comments:

Post a Comment